Tuesday 28 May 2013

Movie Review: Go Goa Gone

I can't believe the first post in this blog is going to be about a zombie movie.

Personally I'm not at all a fan of Zombies or  movies related to the horror/zombie genre.

I had read sometime last year that Bollywood has bitten by the Zombie bug and are in the process of making movies on this subject.

In the article two movies were mentioned
  • Rise of the Zombie
  • Go Goa Gone (I was surprised that Illuminati Films(Saif Ali Khan's production company) was producing it)
I didn't give it much thought and dismissed them as trashy movies which will not go down well with the Indian audience.

Fast forward to March 2013, when the trailer of Go Goa Gone was released. It intrigued me further when I came to know that it is branded as India's first zombie comedy and that Saif, Vir Das and Kunal Khemu are acting in it. Though I couldn't digest Saif with his blonde hair. 

The words comedy & Vir Das are synonymous. Come on, Dehli Belly, do I  need to say more?

My husband, hereby in the blog known as PR, does not like watching Bollywood movies at all. The last movie he enjoyed thoroughly was Delhi Belly. 

When I told him that I want to watch Go Goa Gone, his first reply was 'No way in hell'.
I had to sell the movie to him, by saying that its got Vir Das in it,it is similar to Delhi Belly and last but not the least ZOMBIES!!

Coming to the movie, I found it hilarious! This is a movie where you feed your brain to the zombies and just enjoy the slapstick comedy. 

Vir and Kunal play the 21st century corporate Indian to the T aka getting stoned & drunk and being frustrated with their jobs. Anand Tiwari plays the geeky friend quite well.

What I loved were their names in the movie: Luv, Hardik & Bunny. If I didn't know people with similar names , I would have thought the script writers were stoned when they came up with these names.  People in India are actually named these out of the world names and that mind you is not even their nicknames.

Saif as Boris, the desi converted Russian gangster is quite funny. The fake accent is well really fake!!

The soundtrack is quite catchy and hilarious. My personal favorite tracks are Babaji ki Booti
and Khoon Choos le.

The zombie scenes were quite graphic. I personally didn't like it but if you can stomach it(no pun intended), like I did, the movie has many genuinely funny moments and excellent chemistry between the characters. Definitely first of its kind in Bollywood.

My rating : 3.5/5

In case you are wondering, PR loved the movie so much that he dragged his office friends to watch it again.


image courtesy of wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment